Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Going against the world

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else, is the greatest accomplishment"
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

***********************

Actually though, to be yourself in UK is relatively easy. People couldn't care less about you here - what you are, what you do, what you wear, etc. In fact, you have to make some effort to get people to notice you here.

It is quite liberating, albeit a bit weird at first. When you come from a society that expect you to conform to the general masses in terms of how you behave, what you wear, what you should/shouldn't have and how you think, it was a bit disorienting to find yourself on your own. You are who YOU decide to be.

One of the most important lesson that I learn here is in identifying myself as a Muslim. For some reason, our society in general have some anxiety issues about being a Muslim outside of Malaysia. The media propaganda of Muslims being terrorists and being hated by non-Muslims around the world had instilled this excessive fear in most people. I remember back in 2005 when I had to go to New York, one friend had advised me to wear a small scarf instead so not to look too Muslim. Another friend had also told me how he had advised his wife to not wear her tudung during their trip overseas. Besides this, I've known Malaysians who don't pray when travelling because there isn't any place to pray. On this note, I've learned a lot from my friend and classmate from Saudi. She is a Muslim and she is not afraid to be one in public. During winter, when zuhur and asar's time is very short, she normally used the 10 minutes break that lecturers normally gave us to pray in the class. She just go to one corner in the class and just pray, without caring that the whole class maybe watching her. But as mentioned, people here just don't care about what you do. It is actually all in your mind that they may be criticising you. In fact, they even showed respect by not making too much noise if they are near the place where she is praying. I myself have yet to be this strong and tend to find some secluded place to pray.

Another issue that is a challenge when living and being friends with non-Muslims are the food. We have to be strong enough to inform and educate them on what food we can eat and what we can't. And the good thing about the people here is that they respect your faith and belief. And at times go out of their way to actually accomodate you. Someone had recently organized a bbq, inviting around 20 people from my class. And because there are four of us that are Muslims, she decided to use the Halal chicken only. I was quite touched by her effort on that. But it showed me at least that if I'm strong and keep to my faith, Allah will provide the way.

I am concerned though about going back into the KL society again. Will I be able to maintain my independence and not be sucked into the never-ending rat race and kow-towing to the society 's demand on me again? Heavy thought. Hope I don't drown :p


ps: KFC had opened 8 restaurants in London to be of Halal status. McDonald's had one already and Subway has countless of them all over the country. Isn't it just wonderful to see how a non-Muslim country is slowly embracing the Islamic way of life? :)

7 comments:

Ms B said...

oh, can you please tell where are the halal KFCs? I usualy go to chicken cottage.

anyway, our society has yet to evolve. the moment they see something non-conforming, they quickly get agitated.

Hunny said...

Ms B, this is taken from KFC's website:

http://www.kfc.co.uk/about-kfc/halal/

The stores are:

* Lea Bridge Road - E10 7DN
* Beckton - E6 4LG
* Edmonton - N18 2XA
* Hounslow West - TW4 7DJ
* Upton Park - E13 0AR
* Forest Gate - E7 8BA
* Bethnal Green - E2 0AH
* Tottenham Hale - N17 9FR

But the grill chicken kat Chicken Cottage pun sedap jugak :D

The Tea Drinker said...

i don't need to be outside of malaysia to feel weird practicing my religion.

simple example: best time to pray on time so 'out there' we see people praying on the road side(sini pun ada, ada nampak tukang potong rumput buat) and other places we don't.

see... "other places we don't". meaning, i'd pray late just to pray in a masjid/surau or somewhere out of sight so that people wouldn't look funny.

sometimes i wonder if it is because i'm shy to admit i'm Muslim... right here in good ol Malaysia.

The Tea Drinker said...

darn. my sentence is a bit garbled but hopefully the message got across. hehe. sorry!

Ms B said...

darn! they are all out of my reach. plus most are located in east london, which makes sense as there are many muslims.

tapi chicken cottage pun sedap and very oily. guilty pleasures. *lol*

aidie said...

how come during my time there takde KFC halal..tak aci

Hunny said...

TeaD: Err, I think so ;)

Ms B: Takpe, you can blame it on KFC for not opening their halal stores in Central London hehe

Mate: Just console yourself you can eat all the KFCs that you want right now :p