Sunday, June 28, 2009

The bitter pill

"And certainly, We shall test you with something of fear, hunger, loss of wealth, lives and fruits; but give glad tidings to As-Sabirin (those who are patient). Who, when afflicted with calamity, say: "Truly, to Allah we belong and truly to Him we shall return.'' They are those on whom are the Salawat (i.e., who are blessed and will be forgiven) from their Lord, and (they are those who) receive His mercy, and it is they who are the guided ones."
(Surah al-Baqarah, verse 155-157)


******************************

Have you ever given advice/motivation talk to another person and then realized you are talking to yourself as well? You find yourself handing out the bitter medicine to someone and realized it is the same bitter pill that you have to swallow yourself. I sincerely hope that the medicine will have positive effect on that other person. Mine I feel is still stuck in my throat.

3 comments:

The Tea Drinker said...

sometimes we take for granted the weight of an advice and it's implications, yeah?

Ms B said...

I tend to use my own life experience whenever someone seeks for my advice. i guess it's my own way of self reflection.

Hunny said...

Do you notice that we are usually very objective when we give advice to people but not when we need to take them ourselves?

I realized yesterday the advice I was giving my friend was the same advice that I need as well. :p

I don't usually give out advice unless I am certain the other person wanted one from me.

But there's a new quote that I recently read from a friend's note in facebook, which I feel is good for us to hold on to :
"Advice is like a sandwich. If you know someone is hungry, you can offer them a sandwich. They may even ask for a sandwich. But if you put the sandwich in front of them, and they don’t eat it, there’s nothing you can do. You can’t force someone to eat the sandwich."